How To Write a Resignation Letter
As you decide to move on from your current place of employment, it is important to provide a resignation letter. A resignation letter informs your employer that you will be leaving your current position. It should be concise, professional, and respectful.
Here are nine elements that should be included in a resignation letter:
- Include the date of the letter at the top of the page.
- Begin by addressing the letter to your direct manager or the human resources department.
- Briefly and concisely state your reason for leaving the company. Avoid any negative comments about the company, your colleagues, or the brand, etc.
- Clearly state the date of your last day of work. Offer to assist with the transition process and training of other staff during your notice period.
- Express your gratitude for the opportunities and experiences you have had while working at the company. If there are any specifics, feel free to speak to them.
- Provide your contact information in case your employer needs to reach you.
- End the letter with a professional closing, such as “Sincerely” or “Thank you”, followed by your name and signature.
- Deliver letter via e-mail and confirm receipt. Keep a copy for your own records.
Example Format of a Resignation Letter:
[Your Name] [Your Address] [City, State ZIP Code] [Email Address] [Phone Number]
[Your Supervisor’s Name] [Company Name] [Company Address] [City, State ZIP Code]
Dear [Your Manager’s Name],
I am writing to inform you that I have decided to resign from my position as [Your Job Title] at [Company Name]. My last day of work will be [Date].
I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the opportunity to work with such a great team and for the experience and skills that I have gained while working at [Company Name].
I’m happy to assist in any way possible to ensure a smooth transition during my remaining time with the company.
Please let me know if you need any further information or have any questions.
Thank you for the support and guidance you have provided during my time at [Company Name].